Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I Keep Doing These Stupid Things

I might glance, but you cannot force me to see
I may hear, but I don’t actually have to listen
I considered, but I am certainly not about to heed
I can continue talking - and keep saying nothing

I struggle on, though I still refuse to fight
I laugh, but it’s just part of the soundtrack
I smile though clearly, I am no friend of yours
I am massively defended, yet I do not feel safe

I have hurt you, but I do not feel your pain
I cry, but all my tears come out very dry
I sleep, only to awaken tired once again
I stop, yet time always keeps on going

I ask, but I reject any and all of your answers
I plead, but the one true judge remains mute
I suffer, yet there can be no redemption
I was spared, but it was only a random mercy

I was injured and I cannot ever heal
I struggle, but there is simply no escape
I gain, but enjoy only the briefest satisfaction
I learned much but did not build any wisdom

I gorge, but am simply unable to be satisfied
I drink too much, though sadly cannot stay drunk
I study the koran diligently, but in a foreign tongue
I lose, yet I cannot ever retain the lesson

I keep on buying though I have no real needs
I spend so much, but such are not investments
I tithe generously, but truly know no charity
I lay here quite still, yet I am not at peace

I whisper, but still it seems far too loud to me
I dig, but it is just my own shallow grave
I swallow, though it’s only more bitter pride
I leave and head off again to nowhere

I work hard, but still my debt increases
I always diet but never keep the weight off
I see much that I must leave to others to explain
I willfully ignore, and simply take refuge in my prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment