Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Still With You Somewhere Inside

Got up in the cold just to move about alone in the darkness
Crossed high mountain passes on foot to try and get nearer
Slogged thru deeply-frozen valleys as I thought I traveled home
Witnessed sunsets I only wished that we saw together

Almost felt your cool touch when it grew far too hot
Looked up for your hand whenever I tripped and fell
Saw that shapes in blowing clouds helped me find the way
And all that time I knew: I was still with you inside

Lumbered and tripped, dragging my burden
Gestured with foreigners as I tried to reach you
Forded icy streams with you on my mind
Stayed away far too long - And I never knew why

Listened to your voice when I had no one to talk to
Imagined long, clumsily-poetic emails that I never wrote
Shook my head in confusion as I walked alone
Talked to myself on one bad job after another

Stood alone in lines full of couples along with their kids
Stayed by myself in rooms meant for two
Ate many humble meals I had cooked only for me
But at least all the while you traveled with me, inside

Got briefly tangled in lives I could never appreciate
Lost my way totally even though I was headed nowhere
Watched as stars burned in skies that you did not see
Absorbed amazing daylight and gave off some sadness

Helped others sort out singed keepsakes after bad fires
Wore out lots of clothes that were already secondhand
Looked thru frosty windows, from outside in cold darkness
Still, all the while, you were there, with me, inside

Fled from an emptiness to which I must shortly return
Thought I grew wise but actually slowly went blind
Glimpsed you in strange crowds where you’d never be
Wanted to curl up together with you like strands of DNA

Feared for myself thinking you got along fine without me
Gone so long that I stopped reaching for you in the night
Finally realized I did not even know where you were
But, how I always hoped I was still with you, somewhere inside

No comments:

Post a Comment