Thursday, May 15, 2014

Forgotten First Responders And Stressed Citizenry

I got stuck in some stupid accident traffic jam, had to call in late and so I missed our big meeting
Jelly-rolled an unconscious 330 pound guy out of the twisted wreckage of his shiny, giant pickup
Spilled some coffee on my tie and got so-stressed-out trying to clean it before the customers arrived
Did CPR on a poor little old lady for 20 minutes til she coded – I got so tired I thought it was me dying

Had to walk thru wind & rain all the way from the parking lot and my hair got all wet and messed up
Got face to face with a girl having problems breathing and we found out later we all need TB tests
Hung around work an extra hour again and the wife was mad cause I was late for dinner, once more
Today started 48 hours ago and we had calls throughout both nights but I’ve just got to stay sharp

Suffered thru conference calls all morning - sipping lattes and twerking with my phone
Ground my teeth with every step due to the unremitting pain from my job-induced back injuries
Had trouble getting fired up by our new strategic vision given the clear meaninglessness of our goals
Actually helped out a person during one of the worst days of their life, once again today…

Updated my lame project status, ate customer lunch leftovers & then ducked out 15 minutes early
Repeatedly sterilized the blood and vomit filling our ‘office’ to make way for the next unfortunate
Had to run a couple errands at lunch and was nearly deafened by those stupid sirens
Smacked a tortilla grease apartment fire in the mouth before it could engulf the 15 1-Bdr occupants

Got in a nice nap pretending to studiously ponder a Gannt chart during the after-lunch Sominex hour
Loudly toned out to a possible gas smell at 3AM just after I had managed to finally fall asleep again
Spent an hour piddling with paying off my maxed credit card using my 401K - on company time
Remained thankful I had these 3 jobs I work 96 hours a week that almost keep us in the middle class

Spent the evening enjoying the faux-luxury of my over-leveraged McMansion - by drinking heavily
Shared quarters with the 20 somethings playing videos & games all nite while I worried about my kids
Went straight to my manager when a co-worker got a newer and nicer office chair than mine
Wondered why everybody said they admired what we do, but why we can never find enough medics

Adroitly maneuvered responsibility (and blame) onto another old contractor nobody really liked
Got puked on by that hairy homeless frequent flyer drunk who always smells so badly of urine
Won big at video poker for the entire duration of that urgent project all-hands video conference call
Remembered too late that I had ignored a text from my kid just as we arrived on one more scene

Almost tripped over some useless begging moocher panhandling in front of the office building
Don’t wonder anymore why somebody in so much pain would explicitly beg just for hydrocodone
My poor feet got really sore from wearing those high-heels all day, once again
My body doesn’t know when it’s time to sleep anymore so I just roll with extreme energy drinks 24x7

Had to have whiskeys with the boys to cut the incredible stress of working in the finance industry
Learned that another burned out co-worker took a better-paying days only job in customer support
Was presented a lunch coupon for work on another useless, late, over-budget & incomplete project
Got a nice card from a family I couldn’t remember who we had extricated from a smashedup minivan

No comments:

Post a Comment