Friday, January 3, 2014

Faking Political Correctness


I finally heard, and sometimes even heed, an inner voice saying that its a good time to just shut up
But really, I’m only acting nice, trying to avoid the guilt and shame that follows useless confrontation
So, don’t mistake my thoughtful silence for quiet acceptance – actually, I’m just being kind to myself
And as I nod while you speak, please understand it only means I hear you: Definitely not that I concur

You must realize that I have learned if I can’t say something agreeable, I will say something trivial
In fact, be quite sure that I’m just as likely silently and sarcastically damning you as supporting you
And if I quietly change the subject to something neutral, it’s only to avert a useless, angry escalation
Fact is, I’m simply being nice to avoid being sullied by wasting my own foolish adrenaline on nothing

Be advised I am not really nice, I am not very friendly and I often find your canned opinions repulsive
But I am striving to remain non-confrontational, just trying to avoid any angry but worthless flare-ups
I just want to remain nice and soft, like cottage cheese or tepid oatmeal, at least in your opinion
Please note that, really, I wouldn’t mind confronting you in my very harshest loud and angry tones

So, yeah, I’m being nice with unruffled feathers, staying all like politically correct instead of cursing
Offering what I hope appears as neutral silence rather than pointedly telling you exactly what I think
But even though now you know, dont you dare to confront me or we’ll brand you as a nonteam player
Let’s get thru our mandatory interactions without overt anger and I’ll happily part, without any guilt

I will be most falsely-courteous and faux-friendly to you during our forced face time at big meetings
Since I’ve seen the power of being politely passively-aggressive I’ll only denounce you covertly
I just want for you to believe that I am being nice so we can avoid any friction on all the real issues
Slipping, I’ll apologize for misspeaking or say that I was misunderstood: But not sorry for what I said

Trust me, I chafe under all this enforced politeness for it forces me to swallow my own vile hypocrisy
Still, it beats being soaked in bitter and guilty recrimination for many days after each confrontation
And I’m also being nice to avoid the real concealed weapons of all the personal liberty zealots I cross
Don’t want to take a bullet from a road-raged freedom lover goaded on by his far-too-personal savior

I’m being nice to keep my blood pressure down and my criminal record clean - Not to appease you
No need to worry, though, cause I’m no back-biting, tattletale puke ready to stab you in the back But dont even be surprised when decisions made privately on big projects deny your empty blustering
Yet hopefully you find out later I detested you and your little friends but for now: See my fake smile

I'm absolutely not preaching violence but being nice doesn’t mean I support your silly, vain agenda
I’m not being nice to win your friendship, trust or co-operation: It’s for my own selfish peace of mind
I also know it does no good to call you out to your politically correct, simply rule-enforcing manager
So, don’t you think I am smiling with you cause I’m really chuckling at your loud and ignorant pride

Been thru too many embarrassing after-situations and humiliating post-confrontations to speak up
It’s not worth it to act out for 5 minutes when the guilty payback lasts 5 weeks and nothing changes
But, observing your latest outburst, I derive a real satisfaction knowing it was not me this time
So though your foolish bullshit spoils any teamwork, I wont lose any sleep - Because I am Being Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment